You are here: Home / Knowing Tremp / History

The origins

 

It is possible to situate the origins of Tremp in the IX Century, when someone quoted something about “Sancte Marie ad TRIMPLO” in a document of the year 839. This made reference to the chapel of Santa Maria de Valldeflors. According to Joan Corominas, “Trimplo” is the etymological root of the word “Tremp”. This “Trimplo” became in the chapel around which the city was built. 

In the first Medieval Age Tremp was a territory of frontiers between Christians and Muslims; in fact, the chapel was looting and destroyed in several occasions. Tremp became in a closed village that contained a wall with 6 defence towers and a moat.

Tremp was a walled city from the end of the XIX Century to the beginning of the XX Century. In the year 1876 the wall began to fall down in front of Sant Roc Street (Gabatxa’s tower). In the year 1910 the last part of the wall, which was between the City Hall and the chapel’s tower, fell. Nowadays, the only part that remains untouched is the one that goes from the chapel’s tower to Casa Feliu.

There were four defence towers (Sacristy, Mingo, Gavatxa and Padres), and two more which were enclosed to houses (Millet and Feliu). The other defensive element, the moat, is the one that gives the name to Passeig del Vall.

A part from the towers and walls, there were also an entrance and a departure portal to the city: the portal of Peressall Street, Del Forn Street, Capdevila Square, Soldevila Street and Sant Roc Street.

The first city’s cores unified Tremp with two principal axes: from Doctor Roure Street to Capdevila Square, and from Peresall Street to Del Forn Street.

From the year 1174 Tremp has celebrated remarked fairs, such as the Garlic Fair, the 4th of August, and the Fair of Sant Tomàs, the 21st of December.

In the second Medieval Age (the XIV Century) Tremp extended its enclousure to the South (Soldevila Street). It was also extended outside from the walls to the old quarter and Sant Jaume’s convent. The year 1385, the King Pere III gave the privilege to celebrate fairs three times a year with a lasting of 15 days.

 

 

 

 

Document Actions